(a) building yourself as a globally competent individual and
(b) making India one among the global superpowers by 2020?
This one is an Independence Day special for those strong personalities who want to make a mark, and build their careers.
The question is for Indian youth- the Indian students and the citizens of India.
Could we make some changes in ourselves for the better?
Could we also focus on helping/ supporting/ making lives easier for the less privileged and academically challenged?
Could we make India a better place to live in?
This would help us to lead better and happier lives.
I answered with:
I'll just list down the things that I think can be useful.
The more you learn the more you can teach. When you have limited knowledge you will have a limited span of thought and a limited scope of action.
Now that you are learning, make it a life lesson. Extract something out of everything that you read/see/do. If there is no take-away, there is no greater purpose served than just personal pastime.
Every time you see/hear/learn something which seems better then your current way of living, adapt it. We are human beings, the most intelligent beings on the planet and the most destructive too. We can use our intelligence to be better and co-exist than to annihilate and destroy. This goes for environment, life, communities and ecosystems.
Now that you have started a better way of living, go back to point 1. Look for something more refined than the current way. Constantly upgrading of self and surroundings is absolutely necessary.
Once you are used to this, you are someone who can be looked upon to be the change bringer. Try the following..
1) Join NGOs.
Stop changing your DPs and putting status messages on facebook/twitter/Instagram etc. hoping to make a point. It doesn't amount to anything. If you need to associate yourself with a cause then do something about it. Get both feet in it and do some solid ground work. Meet people, help around, make a difference which actually brings comfort to at least one person in day-to-day life.
2) Follow the law.
To be safe, a country needs laws. The only way you can contribute is by being aware of it and by trying to uphold it. Citizens come first when law is talked about and not police. They are mere enforcers. You are the one who should make the first effort.
3) Follow a few don'ts
- Don't litter/spit anywhere but dustbins/spittoons. You don't do it in your house, don't do it on our streets.
- Don't break traffic laws. You are in a hurry to reach your destination not the grave. You don't care about your life and that's okay but don't drag others with you.
- Don't bribe. Take the longer route. Wait it out. Be patient.Don't bribe. In case you see no option, somehow get it on tape and expose the person who wants the bribe. Do your part of cleansing. If you are the one taking the bribe, stop now. You are abusing your position and one day it will happen to you too. Don't be a filthy parasite who is cured and cussed at by everyone. Don't be in denial, you are that person.
- Don't harass. You have evolved so much that you can overcome you primal desires. Now that you can do it, don't regress back to being an uncivilized, uncouth ape who can't control himself/herself. Don't harass anyone. Don't rape/molest/eve(or Adam for that matter) tease. If you like someone mentally or physically, approach them with good intentions. If you just need instant gratification, save some money and pay for services or just turn on the laptop and close the door. Stop ruining someone's life.
- Don't preach religion(both theists and atheists). We all know that religion is important. Theists owe everything to it and atheists reject everything of it. It is of great importance that you stop preaching religion now and this includes taking up or leaving one. Just refrain from it. Instead, teach a better way of life which can be inspired from your religion or lack of it. Remember, you can only share it and not impose it, so be happy with just that.
- Don't waste. There is very little that we as a species save. We plunder, pillage and pilfer. We barely give back. Don't let it continue. Plant trees, turn the taps and lights off, don't print it unless there is absolutely no alternative and don't throw away food.
- Don't stop asking questions. Asking questions is the first thing that will get you answers. Question things and the reasons they are done for. You'll be amazed by what you will find.
4) Follow a few dos
- Do charity. Monitory only if you have in abundance. Any other way otherwise.
- Do fact check. Before you pass any information that may affect masses, do a fact check. It can be a forward mail chain or a text message on whatsapp. Spreading rumors is not cool.
- Do help. Help people whenever possible. Be the hero of someone who has met with an accident, or save the girl who is being harassed or expose a cheat. Do your bit.
- Do save. Money doesn't come easily but can be spent at an astonishing rate. Save it. Use it for better things than just random shopping.
- Do hard work. Work hard and smart. Nobody wants a colleague who is known to be a slacker. e the one who is everyone's favorite. That doesn't mean putting in extra hours. Just good work will do.
- Do read. Read more and more. Reading is one of the best and easiest things available to you. Utilize the books. They give knowledge, perspective and a reason to think. They are a world in themselves. Discover.
- Do travel. See new places. Start with your own country. Be a bag-packer and see the local place instead of hitting the tourist places.
- Do love. Hating is easy, loving is hard. Love more. Make more friends, party often. Enjoy, love yourself. Live a happy life.
I think this is the best one can do without going all out. If you achieve this, you'd automatically be the change bringer.